Did you make New Year’s Resolutions for 2021?
Well, guess what? I’m sorry to say I have some sad statistics for you.
Over half of all New Year’s resolutions are health related – usually losing weight, eating healthier or exercising more. But unfortunately, according to U.S. News, 80% of resolutions fail by the second week of February. In fact, research conducted by Strava discovered that January 12 is the day that New Year’s resolutions start to fade from our mind. A University of Scranton study sadly states that just 8% of people achieve their New Year’s goals.
Why do most New Year’s resolutions fail?
- The goals are unrealistic
- Progress is not being tracked
- Instant results are expected
- They are forgotten
But it is not all doom and gloom. If your New Year’s Resolution is not achieved, it does not mean you are a failure. It just means you need to re-adjust to have specific and measurable goals. And you most likely need some help and accountability in reaching those goals. Making changes is hard. Sticking to resolutions is hard. Staying motivated is hard.
Here are some TIPS to help you stick to your New Year’s resolutions:
- Turn your resolutions into specific and measurable goals
- Write down your goals and share with people – this makes it more of a commitment
- Ask yourself WHY you want to make this change?
- Make a plan and action steps for your goals
- Find a person or people who can support you as you work toward change
- Actively measure your progress
- Celebrate your successes along the way
- Don’t sweat the bad days
January 1st is a just a day on the calendar, but you can always reset your calendar any day for a fresh start. Acknowledge that changes can be difficult, and results don’t happen overnight. Or even in the first two, three or six weeks of the New Year!
Don’t give up. Don’t be that 80%.
Do you know what? A fitness and coach can help you overcome the obstacles so you can stick to your plan and reach your goals.
Let us help YOU!
Book your FREE Virtual Consultation and make 2021 the year that you succeed in achieving your New Year’s resolutions!