As a growing CrossFit box, we are all getting to know each other and building that tight community we always envisioned. Each month, we profile a CrossFit Grail Athlete that is interesting and inspirational. A person that demonstrates a positive attitude, shows up every day and puts their heart and soul into their workout, never gives up, crushes their goals, cheers everyone on and is passionate about the CrossFit Grail Community. And someone who is pretty cool! Although we think everyone has these qualities, we can only pick one.
May 2019 Athlete Spotlight: Lindsay Morgan
Everyone knows Lindsay! How could you miss her infectious personality and dry humor (which I personally love!)?!?! And Lindsay is now a Grail video star, doing sports broadcasting and commentary with Coach Eric during the CrossFit Grail Open. I think a new career is in the making!
Check out Lindsay’s video interview here
Tell us a little about yourself:
- From Arkansas City, KS. I have one brother, Michael, who has four handsome boys with his wife Jessica. He now runs the family business as a Budweiser distributer. My parents are retired and actually own a summer place out by Buena Vista, CO where they raise llamas. So to sum it up, I grew up around beer and llamas, which may explain a lot of things…
- Got my BFA in Art Education at Bethany College then my MFA in Graphic Design at Kansas State University.
- Was a member of the Bethany Lady Swede basketball team in College where I played with some of the most amazing people I have ever met. Right out of college I moved to Florida to play Women’s Semi-pro basketball for a team called the Florida Fury (awesome experience!).
- After grad school I got a job in Washington DC where I lived for 12 years before moving to Colorado
- Been in Colorado for almost 4 years
- Hobbies include anything outside. Love playing golf, paddle boarding, hiking, and getting to know new people. But to be honest, I do tend to schedule things around CrossFit =)
- I work as a User Experience Interaction designer for Northrop Grumman. I color all day;)
How long have you been doing CrossFit and what got you started?
Started a little over a year ago after Becky Gee asked if we wanted to try it out. I was in a slump physically and we had finally settled a bit from two years of job changes and moving so this was a perfect, and intimidating, opportunity. I was hooked from the first class and have been sore ever since.
What did you do for your fitness before CrossFit?I was much more self-motivated in the years past, but life kind of wears on that a bit so it was on and off at big gyms for a few years before joining Grail. Relied a lot on outdoor activities for fitness
What do you like most about CrossFit?Everything. It was very clear that my lack of self-motivation would not be an excuse at this box. I have never been part of a gym where I could honestly say that I’m hooked more on the people than I am the workouts. Those are a plus!
How has doing CrossFit changed your life outside of the Box?
My health definitely improved along with energy levels and strength. There have been physical changes that for the first time in a long time I have noticed. My biggest hang up is self-confidence which has been super frustrating considering I was pretty cocky when it came to physical things like strength and sport. But as my body started to change and things weren’t as easy as they use to be, my self-confidence became debilitating at times. CrossFit has and continues to help me break some of those barriers.
What motivates you to keep WOD-ing?
Growing up in a team environment when it came to physical activity and sports, I learned that the people around you are what makes you successful. I consider everyone involved with Grail as part of my team which keeps me going. I also have physical issues that if I stop moving will definitely get worse. I have terrible knees that have “blessed” me with mobility issues and arthritis. So being able to look forward to something that will not only hold that off for a bit, but also get me bikini ready is a plus. Disclaimer: I have never nor will I ever be seen in a bikini. You’re welcome.
What are your 3 favorite CrossFit movements?
2. Push Press
4. Hang Cleans
*Adding hand stand pushups cause I did ONE 😉
What do you consider to be your biggest accomplishment?
No police record. Kidding…kind of.
It’s pretty simple. Being happy and successful in life. I’ve worked hard for where I’m at and I have my family to thank for instilling those values in me. They have supported and accepted me which I am super lucky to have. My parents kept me super honest growing up and always let me make my own mistakes. They let me go on my adventures and figure myself out which I am beyond thankful for. And having a brother who is also very athletic and driven kept me on my toes growing up. I’m not sure if this is an accomplishment or if I’m just the luckiest person alive, but being able to have Brandi as part of my life has been nothing short of amazing. She loves to go on adventures as much as I do and pushes me in the gym (although I do accuse her of trying to kill me at times). With all that said, I hope I still have lots of big accomplishments yet to achieve.
What is YOUR QUEST?
This month: Nutrition reboot
This year: Travel to awesome places. And do a [email protected]!#ing strict pullup!
This lifetime: Start a family, stay active, and continue adventuring.