With the government-mandated shut-down of all gyms in Colorado, we are now forced to get creative to maintain our fitness outside of the gym. Even if we don’t have one piece of gym equipment, we can still get our workout on!
Here is a list of both common home gym equipment and other equipment you might have around the house to use for your workouts:
- Timer App: FlexTimer or WOD Timer (download from the App Store or Google Play)
- Bike, Stationary Bike, Treadmill, Elliptical Machine, Rower
- Jump Rope
- Yoga Mat
- Foam Roller
- Doorway Pull Up Bar
- Resistance Bands
Household items than can be used for your home workouts:
- Towels (in lieu of resistance bands)
- Rope – can be trimmed to jump rope length
- Gallon jugs of water – no kettlebell, no problem!
- 5-gallon buckets – fill to your desired weight for carries
- Chair (dips, step-ups)
- Broom handle – instead of PVC’s for mobility
- Durable book bag or backpack to fill with books/rocks
- 24 pack of water – think deadlifts
- Canned goods – like little extra resistance hand weights
- Furniture sliders – move some stuff around like a sled!
- Small children for weighted carries, squats, lunges – kids will like this, too!
- Dog – they need to be walked or go for a run, right?
- Wheelbarrow – balance, strength and core stability
- Large stones – sure, the yard may need a little tending to
- Cinder blocks – why not?
- Shovel for digging
- Sledgehammer for slamming (good stress reliever)
- Staircase – no need for a stair stepper!
- Push Mower – is it time to mow, yet?
- Bags of soil/sand – thing sandbag runs and carries
How have you gotten creative with your home workout equipment? Can you think of anything else?
We hope this inspires you to keep moving while you are out of the gym!
~Michelle Ann Keely, CEO
CrossFit Level 1 Trainer
Precision Nutrition Certified Coach