GRIT: 1) the ability to keep going despite adversity, 2) the perseverance and passion to achieve long–term goals; aka: Mental Toughness.
G – Gratitude
R – Resilience
I – Integrity
T – Toughness
How is your G.R.I.T. during the COVID-19 crisis? With the social distancing, self-isolation, limited outings, financial uncertainty, the stress of working from home (or not), parenting / teaching kids, reduced leisure activity and being with your spouse 24/7, it is completely normal to not have G.R.I.T. all of the time. Most everyone I have spoken with over the last few weeks have had varying degrees of struggle with mental and emotional resiliency.
Here are 7 Tips to Build Mental Toughness:
- Positivity: Start each day listing at least 3 things you are grateful for, either in your head, record them on your phone or write them down. Refer to this list throughout the day when you feel that negativity creeping in. Don’t let the negativity of others bring you down. Elevate them up instead.
- Strength Under Stress: Develop a strategy for dealing with stress in order to maintain your resilience when you’re feeling overwhelmed. Is that with exercise? Meditation? ROMWOD (45 days FREE when you sign up with the Grail affiliate link here)? Allowing yourself to cry for 5 minutes while you are alone in the shower? Escaping with a good book? Whatever it takes to reduce your stress and reactivate your strength – do it!
- Perspective: Mental toughness allows you to carry on when it seems like the world is falling apart or nothing is going your way. Return to what is most important to you. Is that your family? Friends? Home? Your health and the health of those closest to you? Remembering what is most important to you helps put things into perspective.
- Readiness for Change: We say that CrossFit prepares you for any physical or mental challenge that comes your way. The only constant we have is change; therefore, some of the most important traits to develop are flexibility and adaptability.
- Build Strong Habits: You can’t always be motivated. Build those daily habits that allow you to stick to a consistent schedule. GRIT comes down to habits and consistency.
- Focus: We are focused on keeping ourselves, our family and our community healthy. We also need to focus on the big picture and long-term outcome. Things will not go back to ‘normal’ overnight or maybe ever. But we will slowly be able to get back to our lives and a new normal. This too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass.
- Acceptance: So many things in life are out of our control. There is no use complaining. You can only control your own attitude and response. “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.” ~Charles R Swindoll
Developing GRIT and Mental Toughness takes practice and mindfulness. When we focus on these seven tips, we can develop a mental toughness worthy of the COVID-19 quarantine and more!
Do you want to surround yourself with a community of people that can lift you up and help you develop that GRIT?
Book a FREE Virtual Intro to get started!