As a growing CrossFit box, we are all getting to know each other and building that tight community we always envisioned. Each month, we profile a CrossFit Grail Athlete that is interesting and inspirational. A person that demonstrates a positive attitude, shows up every day and puts their heart and soul into their workout, never gives up, crushes their goals, cheers everyone on and is passionate about the CrossFit Grail Community. And someone who is pretty cool! Although we think everyone has these qualities, we can only pick one.
April 2019 Athlete Spotlight: Aneal Roney
Aneal is a pretty quiet guy that you may not know if you don’t attend the 6:30am class. He joined Grail soon after we opened, and many times was the only person in that class until eventually a few more Questers joined him at that early hour. Aneal has a passion for his family – and hunting! You notice this on the Quest Board: “Get a Bull Elk with a bow.” We hope this is the year, Aneal!
I got to know Aneal even better while working with him over the last 3 months on his 12-Week Transformation. During that time, he threw himself into his nutrition plan and stuck do it, losing 20.6# and 15”. He is a great example of what can happen when you take control of your health, starting with nutrition!
Check out Aneal’s video interview here
Tell us a little about yourself:
• Born in London, U.K. – came to US when I was 1.5 years old;
• Spent most of life through College in Northeast – NY/PA
• Came to Colorado after undergraduate, currently on Year #21 in Colorado
• Married to my kick ass wife, Emily – 3 kids – Maya (15), Ela (13), Liam (8) – 1 Black Lab (Jax)
• Work – in IT – build data and artificial intelligence solutions for enterprise customers and organizations
• Hobbies – right now it seems my hobby is fixing up a lake cabin we bought in Nebraska – but in general lots of outdoor hobbies around hunting & fishing; also spending a lot of time around my kids activities – sports, scouts, school. I also play ice hockey 1 X per week just about year-round.
How long have you been doing CrossFit and what got you started?
I talked to Eric before gym even opened but signed up in May 2017. Had just built a house 1 mile down the road and saw the sign. I was also tired of going in and out of “pre diabetes levels” when getting my annual physical. I was overweight and out of shape.
What did you do for your fitness before CrossFit?
Everything! 24/Lifetime Fitness, periods of focused running, personal trainers, strength training
What do you like most about CrossFit?
+ Scaling + Growth
How has doing CrossFit changed your life outside of the Box?
Through the various nutrition challenges, I have lost 20+ lbs while learning some valuable long-term skills around nutrition PLUS working out. In general, I have more energy, better sleep. I have also seen my overall improvement trickle in to my other activities (hunting, hockey).
What motivates you to keep WOD-ing?
I won’t admit to liking exercise in any shape or form. But I have to admit the entire CrossFit package (gym, community, programming) keeps me motivated to “get it done”.
What are your 3 favorite CrossFit movements?
1. Alternating Dumbbell snatch
What is YOUR QUEST?
This month: Got my first Toes-to-Bar (4) in Open 19.2
This year: Kill a bull elk with a bow (every year), working on strict pullups & do Murph for the first time
1. Take my family to India
2. Lots of bucket list hunts – turkeys in Florida/Mexico, big game in Alaska/Canada, Special Big Game in Colorado (Moose, Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goat)
3. Watch my children go out into the world and have a positive impact, whatever that may look like for them.