WELLNESS WEDNESDAY 💮
The colder, shorter days combined with the holiday season (not to mention pandemic fatigue) can make our health and fitness priorities fall lower on our importance list. And we know when that happens, it is much more difficult to move it up back up the list and regain consistency.
Here are my 7 Tips to Stay Consistent:
- Create a Schedule. Just like any other appointment, put your fitness time on your calendar. Reserve your spot in class and stick to it. Put a spot on the calendar when you are going to grocery shop, meal prep, workout and yes, even sleep!
- Set short-term goals with daily tasks, or action steps. If we just look at one big goal, it can become overwhelming. Instead of saying, “I am going to lose 20 pounds this year,” then not knowing where to start, break it down into smaller chunks. Example goals with action steps: ‘This month, my goal is to lose 3 pounds, and to do that, I will attend CrossFit class 4 times per week minimum, write my grocery list and shop on Saturday, set aside 2 hours on Sunday to prep my healthy meals and snacks to have on hand, and go to bed no later than 10pm to get hours of sleep….’ And so on.
- Prioritize sleep. Without adequate sleep, we have difficulty focusing and functioning, making it less likely we will exercise and more likely to reach for highly palatable carb-loaded comfort food. Work backwards from when you need to wake up to set your bedtime, and knowing what you need to get done before that time so you can wind down to get to sleep.
- Recruit an Accountability Partner for a support system. Friend, family or your Grail Fitness / Nutrition Coach! We can help you set those short and long-term goals and come up with a plan to reach them while keeping you on track and CONSISTENT.
- Stop relying on motivation. We can’t always be motivated. We can’t wait for the ‘mood to strike.’ It’s impossible. We have to learn to be disciplined. Go back to Tip #1.
- Focus on your ‘WHY.’ We get caught up in the rush of daily life and start feeling our consistency slip away, like we can always start over tomorrow. This is the time to regroup and focus on your ‘WHY.’ Why do you want to be fit and healthy? The superficial WHY can last for a while – like ‘to fit into that pink bikini.’ But the bigger WHY: I want to be able to play with my grandkids without pain, get out of a chair without help, get off the high blood pressure medication. You get the idea.
- NO EXCUSES. It’s pretty easy to let excuses creep in. We’ve heard them all. “I don’t have time.” I didn’t get any sleep last night.” “I don’t have any food in the house, so I had to hit the [fast-food] drive-thru.” “I don’t feel like it.” “[Something] hurts.” Refer to Tips 1 through 6. You are only cheating yourself. Make your personal bubble the ‘NO EXCUSE ZONE.’
At Grail Fitness, we are your accountability partner to help you STAY CONSISTENT with your health and fitness goals.
Get started with your FREE Virtual Consultation TODAY!